Today in history: Hearts win GT One Touch Top Four tourney


On this day 14 May 2006 (Exactly 14 years ago today) Supporters of Accra Hearts of Oak Sporting Club poured unto the streets of Sunyani after the referee signalled for the end of their titanic GT One Touch Top Four final match against Kumasi Asante Kotoko at the Coronation Park.

The match ended one all but Hearts needed only a draw to lift the GT One Touch Top Four Cup for the second time.

Kotoko took the lead in the 62nd minute of the tension-packed match through George Yamoah but Hearts staged a late rally and cancelled the deficit in the 76th minute through Kwabena Boafo.

The heightened tension around the match saw hundreds of police and military personnel at vantage points around the Sunyani Coronation Park to ensure no acts of indiscipline or violent behaviour happened.

The two rival teams exerted their energies and concentration in the first half of the epic ‘battle’ that belied their pride and image other than the cash and cup rewards for the winner.

Both sides wasted open chances they created especially in the first half, which ended without a goal. It was apparent that caution took a greater part of the players’ performance with each side being very alert not to commit any blunders that could spell their team’s doom.

Kotoko who were determined to carry the day, started strongly in the second half and it came as no surprise when the workaholic striker Yamoah slotted in the first goal amid thunderous cheers from the Fabulous supporters.

The goal came about when the Kumapem boys won a throw-in and when the ball fell on the feet of the striker he did not waste time and sent a sizzling shot to the blind side of Hearts goalkeeper Laud Quartey straight into the net.

Hearts coach Oti Akenten pulled out Tachie Mensah for Joe Louis and from then it became a ding-dong affair until Boafo equalized with a header from a free kick just outside the 18 yard box.

The final whistle sent the hundreds of Hearts supporters into a frenzy in spite of the drawn game, since the team needed only a draw to lift the GT One Touch Top Four Cup.